Saturday, August 14, 2010


I was out and about in East Chesterton today. Specifically around the Church Street area. Thanks to all those nice people I spoke to. It can be a bit hard knocking on doors sometimes. One guy was very agressive to me, but the very next door was opened by a lovely lady who had a great chat with me. It was very clear to me that traffic was the big issue today.

I spoke to quite a few people about when I was on the County Council before and led the Transport Innovation Bid. On lot of occasions I said at the time, that congestion charging was not going to be on my agenda, but I was trying to convince the Government that they should invest in the transport infrastructure in Cambridge. I still stand by that. Cambridge is a great little contained City, and there are loads of innovative things that could be done to help us all move around Cambridge better. They just cost loads and loads of money. Which with the current economic situation, bequeathed of course by the Labour Government, money is very thin on the ground. I would encourage officers of the County to continue to work on innovative ways to deal with the transport issues, and be right at the front of the queue when money does become available.

I have already talked about keeping the A14 project alive, and I was really pleased to see that the Leader of Cambridge County Council has been trying to do just that http://jilltuck.blogspot.com/
It is absolutely vital, and many of you agreed with me today.

I will be out and about tomorrow again, so I will look forward to meeting more of the residents.
See you soon.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment